RE: 20020214: Garp

Li,

You have:
  default visual id:  0x23
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits

It appears you are running a Xfree86 server, so I'm guessing Linux.

You can configure your depth through the "linuxconfig" script
and select the 8 bit (256 colors) mode.

Also make sure you are not running GNOME. Use KDE, TWM or FVWM.
See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/4586

Steve CHiswell
Unidata User Support