20020212: NMAP can't find data

Ruth,

NMAP2 will rely on the datatype.tbl file. NMAP has some additional
configuration tables in $GEMTBL/nmap. I find that the NMAP2 interface is
easier to use for the time selection widget for casestudies,
so let me start by assuming you will use that program.

The datatype.tbl file (as I package it here)  has a template for
ship data as:
SHIP         $GEMDATA/ship             YYYYMMDDHH_sb.gem

Your ship data is in the $GEMDATA/ship directory which matches
the above template. But, you apparently have daily files. The
template above will be trying to match hourly files. You could
change the datatype.tbl template for daily files, or create
hourly files out of the daily files.

For model data, when you select the "grid" data type, NMAP2
prpvides a list of known models to search for from those referenced in
$GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl. Nogaps is one of the models found in
the mod_res.tbl file for various restore "nts" products. WGen
you select "nogaps" in the data selection widget, NMAP2
then uses that grid file title to seatch datatype.tbl for
the template that will match that model.

The datatype.tbl file has:
NOGAPS       $MODEL                    YYYYMMDDHH_nogaps240.gem

Your files are called: YYYYMMDDHH_nogaps2.gem. The existing template
is based on the data being provided on grid #240 by FNMOC on
the IDD. Since your data does not match the template, it won't be found.
I presume your data is on grid #2 based on the file name. Your options are:

1) rename your files to match the supplied template

or

2) change the datatype.tbl template to match your files (if that
doesn't conflict with real-time data you might be getting from
FNMOC)

or most robust:
3) Add another NOGAPS template to the datatype.tbl file. Call it
NOGAPS2 (to signify nogaps on grid 2). Use the line identical to NOGAPS
keeping all spaces so that the columns line up, it would look like:
NOGAPS2      $MODEL                    YYYYMMDDHH_nogaps2.gem etc......

Then, add the "nogaps2" datatype to the various nts restore file entries
in $GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl that you want to be available with this
gridded data set. The next time you start NMAP2, it will search for
the models listed in mod_res.tbl, find nogaps2, and add it to
the selection widget.

For NMAP, to deal with the ship data, you would have to edit the template in
$GEMTBL/nmap/master.nmap since nmap was developed before the datatype.tbl
functionality.

Steve Chiswell