20020212: reading/writing McIdas area files for use in GEMPAK

David,

I added the TANC projection to the imar2gm.f routine in the
patches area of the GEMPAK downloads. The McIDAS routine for
TANC does hardcode the radius of earth, and not stored in the
navblk.

I'll let Tom address creating AREA files.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From: David Ovens <address@hidden>

>Hello,
>
>I am hoping to create a bogus McIdas area file -- basically a GOES-10
>image rotated up so Seattle is about at the center of the image -- so
>that I can get a different satellite projection in GEMPAK (if you want
>an example of what my output would look like, see
> http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?joes_okc_h500+all
>).  Anyhow, I think that all I need to do is figure out how to read an
>existing McIdas file (GOES-10) and write it back out changing only the
>4th word in the navigation section from "102042" to "474500" or
>something like that.  Is there FORTRAN (preferably), C, or PERL code
>out there that could help me with this?
>
>By the way, I have looked at maknav and imgremap in McIdas-X and I
>understand the LAMB, MERC, PS, RADR, RECT, and MOLL projections, it's
>possible that SIN, TANC, or NOAA does what I want, but I don't
>understand those.  Basically, I didn't see how I could do a new
>satellite projection if I did not already have a file with the
>projection that I want to create.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.