20020131: GEMPAK dcgrib2: "Grid too large" and "nwsgrib128.tbl"

>From: Bret Whissel <address@hidden>

>Hi.  I just finished installing LDM and GEMPAK 5.6e1 on a RedHat
>7.1 Linux box.  After installing the GEMPAK sample PQACT files,
>I'm getting two error messages consistantly.  The first:
>
>  -55 Grid too large  1830 x 918 > 400000
>
>Do you know which dataset would be coming over the IDD which would
>trigger this response?  Should there be a different PQACT for this
>dataset, or a different set of dcgrib2 options?  (I'm using the default
>GEMPAK pqact configuration, i.e., the Global GRIB decoding action.
>dcgrib2 is not directly referenced by any other pqact action.)
>
>The second message:
>
>  nwsgrib128.tbl cannot be opened
>
>This file does not exist in the GEMPAK distribution.  Did I miss
>something?
>
>Thanks,
>Bret
>FSU Met SysAdmin

Bret,

The "large" grid is the national aviation hazzards grid:
ZDIA98 KKCI
broadcast every ~5 minutes which was added to the NOAAPORT data stream
within the past 6 months. GEMPAK can be compiled with a larger
grid size to use the grid, but its probably not used that much.

If this error is really annoying, then the log level of the message could
be increased so that it would only appear in the logs if you turned up
the verbosity. I can make this change in the next binary release
if you are using that, or I can tell you what to change if you are building
from scratch. Other than that, the message doesn't do any harm. Its just
telling you that the grid data won't be written out to a file.

You could modify the pqact entry to omit the KKCI grid from being passed
to dcgrib2. We might want to make the pattern for the HRS grids more
like ^[YZHO]..... (KWB.|KMSR|ECM.|EGRR)
The problem there is that you wouldn't automatically start receiving new grids
(like if the Japanese grids were added) without modifying your pqact.conf.

The grib table version 128 message is apparently from the hydrologic grids.
I will see if I can obtain a list from NWS of any table 128 parameters.

Steve Chiswell