20011222: GEMPAK

Robert,

The NEXRAD level III data from the FTP gateway can be displayed in GEMPAK
in its raw format. You can find the data under:
ftp://ptgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/
For example, base reflectivity (paremeter 19) for the lowest tilt level
is found under the directory DS.p19r0/ with subdirectories for each site.

Other data sets such as model grids can be downloaded from the FTP server
in their raw format, and decoded into GEMPAK format using dcgrib2 for
model GRIB data for example, or you can find some of these files already
decoded into GEMPAK format on the NCEP ftp server, ie:
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/GEMPAK/grid/

You can find GINI format satellite images, which can also be displayed in
GEMPAK,
under the ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/images/satellite/
directory. Not all directories  on the server are in current use. But, as an
example,
1km visible imagery from GOES 8 is found under:
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/images/satellite/GOES-8/US_1km/VIS/
and 4km IR imagery under:
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/images/satellite/GOES-8/US_4km/IR/

The idea of a cron script will work fine. In particular, you can download
complete data sets when you need them. This is generally easier if you
don't have a computer dedicated to receiving the data at all times.
The IDD is somewhat different, in that you would have to stay connected at
all times, since the data are delivered in pieces as they are broadcast,
rather than on a particular schedule.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support