20011206: 20011203: 20011130: 20011130: Computing the standard deviatio n

Andy,

No. STAN C should not be .1849. Your assumption that operations are
commutative is incorrect. The square of a number is not linear.
Therefore, you cannot interpolate B to and point and then square it
and have it equal to the field of B^2 interpolated to a point.
The STAN value of .29 does appear to be the correct interpolated value
of the B^2 field to SAC. You can plot out the 4 surrounding data points of SAC
and
do the bi-linear interpolation yourself to prove this.

To prove that the operations are non-commutative, look simply at 2 points:

     Pt1             Pt2
       +------*------+

Now, say you want to interpolate B and C to the * in the middle of the 2 points.

Given the values B and C=B^2:

    Pt1      Pt2
B   .77     -.01
C   .593     .0001

An interpolation of B to * gives: .39
An interpolation if C to * gives: .2965

If you then square the value of B interpolated to the point, you get: .39^2 =
.1521

By calculating C first, and interpolating the field to the station location,
you have a
field that reflects the non-linearity of the gradient in the square of the
quantities.

I have found nothing in the information you provided to point to any problems
with
the package.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support