20011126: Problem building 5.6.e.1 on RH 7.2

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

>Hi...
>
>I'm having a problem building Gempak 5.6.e.1 on RH 7.2.  I get errors such
>as:
>
>/home/gempak/gempak-5.6.e/lib/linux/device.a: could not read symbols:
>Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one
>
>I tried running make again as suggested by a reference to a similar
>problem in the support archives but still get the error.
>
>Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
>                                   Thanks.
>
>                                    Art.
>
>Arthur A. Person
>Research Assistant, System Administrator
>Penn State Department of Meteorology
>email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563

Art,

You should be able to solve the problem by typing:
ranlib $GEMLIB/device.a

That will add the symbol table.

The fix for the $CONFIGDIR/Makeinc.linux file is described:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/4736
to remove the $@ from the RARCHIVE definition.

Steve Chiswell