20011023: 20011022: 20011019: gempak ltg gridding

Brian,

I have created a program called GDOBSCNT that will find the
number of observations within a specified radius of each grid
point and store the grid as parameter ODEN@0%none for each
time specified from the input surface file.

You can download the tarfile from:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/contrib/gdobscnt.tar.Z

In your GEMPAK 5.6 $NAWIPS directory, unpack the tarfile with:

zcat gdobscnt.tar.Z | tar xvf -

Then build and install with:

cd $NAWIPS/unidata/programs/gdobscnt
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

To use the program, you should first create your grid file with your
required grid spacing using GDCFIL.

The program uses 4 parameters. SFFILE, DATTIM, GDFILE, RADIUS.
SFFILE is your input surface (NLDN) file. GDFILE is the
file for the grids to be stored. DATTIM is the times
(a list, range, single, or all) from the surface file
to process. RADIUS is the range, in meters, from the
each grid point that stations will be counted.

The result is a grid called ODEN for each time specified
by DATTIM.

For example, using today's 1630Z NLDN file (which contains
nldn bins at 5 minute intervals from 1630Z to 1655Z), and a grid
file I have already created called test.grd specifying a 50KM
radius (50000m):

% gdobscnt
 SFFILE    Surface data file                 nldn|011024/1630
 DATTIM    Date/time                         all
 GDFILE    Grid file                         test.grd
 RADIUS    Radius (in meters) to search      50000
 Parameters requested: SFFILE,DATTIM,GDFILE,RADIUS.
 GEMPAK-GDOBSCNT>r
 Processing 011024/1630
 Processing 011024/1635
 Processing 011024/1640
 Processing 011024/1645
 Processing 011024/1650
 Processing 011024/1655
 Parameters requested: SFFILE,DATTIM,GDFILE,RADIUS.
 GEMPAK-GDOBSCNT>e

I can then plot the data, with grid point values and contous in GDPLOT2
with:
 GDFILE   = test.grd
 GDATTIM  = 1630-1655
 GLEVEL   = 0
 GVCORD   = none
 PANEL    = 0
 SKIP     = 0
 SCALE    = 0
 GDPFUN   = ODEN
 TYPE     = cm
 CONTUR   = 0
 CINT     = 0
 LINE     = 3
 FINT     =
 FLINE    =
 HILO     =
 HLSYM    =
 CLRBAR   = 1
 WIND     =
 REFVEC   =
 TITLE    = 1
 TEXT     = 1
 CLEAR    = y
 GAREA    = 34.0;-95.2;43.7;-79.2
 PROJ     = LCC/25.0;-90.0;25.0
 MAP      = 1
 LATLON   = 0
 DEVICE   = XW
 STNPLT   =
 SATFIL   =
 RADFIL   =
 LUTFIL   =
 STREAM   =
 POSN     = 0
 COLORS   = 5
 MARKER   = 0
 GRDLBL   = 0
 FILTER   = 0
 GEMPAK-GDPLOT2>r
Creating process: xw for queue 12551
 [TG 0] 1630-1655
 Number of times =            6
            1 011024/1630
            2 011024/1635
            3 011024/1640
            4 011024/1645
            5 011024/1650
            6 011024/1655
<etc...>

The TYPE=cm in gdplot2 will plot both the contours of the data as well as
the data values at the grid point locations (marker=0).

Let me know if you have questions/problems/etc.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support