20011019: gempak installation

raghav,

If you are able to run GEMPAK under openwindows and not CDE,
then perhaps you need to close down some color intensive applications
that might be conflicting under CDE. The most common would be the
file manager and/or on-line answer book. Others would be netscape
(run as netscape -install) or chose a less color intensive desktop scheme.

If you are ingesting real-time data from the LDM, pqact.conf
pattern/actions for decoding realtime data into GEMPAK files
are provided in the configuration web pages:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.6/configuration.html

If you need to decode archived data, you can used the "dc" decoders
to decode the data into GEMPAK format.

Make sure you have defined your data locations in the $NAWIPS/Gemenviron
file (typically GEMDATA, HDS, MODEL, SAT, RAD). Most of the other
data directory variables are relative to those locations.
The template file in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl uses those
environmental variables to locate data directories
on your disk. An example of realtime data directories
for GEMPAK can be seen under:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak

You should source the Gemenviron file into your csh environment
every time you log in.

An example data set with several of the possible data types which
may be displayed in GEMPAK is available. See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/case19/README_case19
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/case19/case19.tar.gz

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support