20010824: GEMPAK variables

Javier,

You can find the definitions that GEMPAK uses to decode GRIB parameter numbers
GEMPAK variable names in $GEMTBL/grid. For the avn model, The parameter tables
would be
wmogrib2.tbl and ncepgrib2.tbl. For example, TMPK is temperature in Kelvin, no
scaling
(eg scales by 10**0):

% grep TMPK $GEMTBL/grid/wmogrib2.tbl
011 Temperature                       K                    TMPK             0
-9999.00

The GRIB data provides parameter numbers, and the above tables will be used to
identify the string used as the name in GEMPAK. The vertical coordinate names
are
defined in $GEMTBL/grid/vcrdgrib1.tbl.

More information on GEMPAK parameters can be found in the User Guide in Chapter
3
(gparm and/or gfunc, as well as general lists in sfparm) and Appendix B for
function computations.

A parameter that has 2 levels is called a "layer" parameter. 2 levels will be
used
when the parameter is described in a layer, or between 2 levels, such as:

Boundary layer parameters, where the levels are the top and bottom of the layer
(eg PARM=TMPK, GLEVEL=180:0, GVCORD=PDLY is the temperature in the
layer from 0 to 180 millibars above the ground.

Stability parameters, such as the lifted index, lifted from 1000mb to 500mb;
Helicity
using the mean storm inflor from 0 to 3000m above the ground, etc.

If you create thickness computations, such as GFUNC=ldf(hght), GLEVEL=500:1000,
GVCORD=PRES,
you will have a thickness (aka height difference (delta Z) or depth of a layer
in the atmosphere)
between 500mb and 1000mb for the height (HGHT) of pressure surfaces.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support