20010817: More video woes

>From: Robert Leche <address@hidden>

>Hello all,
>I thought my video troubles where over yesterday after I changed X to 8
>bit service. I restarted Linux for good measure, started X with KDE.
>freeColors then reported colors available. 'NTL -s32 &' operated with no
>error (however I was expecting a box with the various icons of programs
>such as nmap, nmap2, grap, etc.). I was able to start nmap2. I do not
>have data for nmap, but it started. That was yesterday.
>
>Today, freeColors is reporting zero colors available. I restarted KDE/X
>session. no good. I rebooted Linux... restarted X with KDE. Tried
>freeColors... zero colors free.
>
>As a last measure, Xconfiguartor was run again with 8 bits. After all
>this, 'freeColors' still reports zero free colors and ntl errors out.
>What happened overnight? What changed?
>

>By the way, netscape was off the entire time this exercise was taking
>place.
>
>Bob
>address@hidden
>225 578 5023

Bob,

Its possible that your KDE configuration was not saved when you logged out.
Or, you had a xw, or gf driver still running.

The command line to launch ntl with 32 colors is: ntl -s 32 &

Since you did not get the launcher bar, it does not sound like that
was successful- or your DISPLAY variable was not set.
You show "NTL" above, instead of ntl. Don't know if that is actually
what you meant.

If you have rebooted, and rerun linuxconfig for the Display,
make sure your display is 8 bits with "xdpyinfo". Also, make sure you
don't have multiple depths defined.

Also, make sure you launch the guis through NTL and not on the command line.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport