Re: 20010726: GEMPAK/NAWIPS Shapefiles?

Mike,

The DBF file actually gives field names
(like for the ZONES, you have FIPS, CWA, LAT, LON, ZONE, STATE)
that you will have to modify the code todo whatever you want to for the
different fields. For example, For zones, I created a separate file for
each state and used the ZONE, FIPS and CWA for the $GEMTBL/bounds/zoninfo
file I use for gpwarn.

I put together a tarfile several years ago for the SPC in
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/contrib/readshape.tar.gz

It includes a README file that details how to decode the counties shape file
included within as a starting point. (Its 1999 so take that as an example only).
It also includes the ssfgsf.f file. I modified the FORMAT read statement to
be one character larger than the default. Eg, I had more map segments than
the format allowed. TRhe current ssfgsf.f file in the distribution has been
updated for the 5.6 library, so use that- but you may have to increate
the array sizes depending on the number of line segments in the rivers
database.

Anyhow, thats a starting point. I can look at the rivers shape file on AWIPS
near the end of nest week if you prefer. Send me the URL of the actual file you
are interested in. Otherwise, the code does show how to step through the
segments in relation to the DBF information provided.

When you said "basins", I was wondering if the rfc.nws was what you were were
refering to, or any of the $GEMMAPS/*.rfc.

Steve Chiswell