20010720: Problem installing GEMPAK5.6

>From: James Murakami <address@hidden>

>Hi Steve,
>
>When I changed the "flex" to "lex" in the Makefile, the
>error statements disappeared.
>
>Everything compiled without error statements this time.
>
>After doing the "make install" and "make clean" jobs, I wanted
>to start with a relatively simple program (sfl604).
>
>After invoking the program name, I got the program prompt and
>nothing else. I got nothing when I commanded a list of variables
>in the program. I got a similar response to the sfmap program.
>
>Did things compile wrong, or do I need to alter some other file(s)?
>Again, thanks in advance.
>
>James
>
>P.S.--The unidata website for downloading the latest version
>of GEMPAK lacked some files (at least the binary version for
>sparc). The Makefile, config, include, nprogs, unidata, and
>versions directories were absent. I then went to the
>ftp.unidata.ucar.edu site where everything was present.

James,
The binary distribution does not contain source directories (eg: gempak/src,
unidata, nprogs etc.) since the programs have already been built. The
binary distribution contains all tables, mapfiles, parameter files etc
that are needed to run the executables. Since the source directories
aren't needed for the execution of the programs, they aren't included.

If you are invoking a program name, and don't see anything, then you may have
$GEMPRM, $GEMHLP, etc pointing to a wrong location- if you haven't
sourced Gemenviron, or still have your old distribution locations
in your environment.

Also, make sure you didn't download the new distribution on top of your old
source distribution tree. If you do that, and you haven't removed
all of the files in the $GEMLIB directory, then you will have old
libraries and not compiled the new versions.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support