20010720: Gempak5.6

>From: "adam taylor (994)" <address@hidden>

>We are currently running RH linux 6.2 on a Sun sparc 20 machine.  Will
>Gempak5.6 even work on here?  I know from our other machines that in order
>to use gempak you  had to have had the Glibc 2.2 or greater.  We have
>version 2.1.3 and no way of upgrading(i think).  Is this true??  any help
>would be appreciated.
>
>Adam Taylor
>
>Department of Geosciences
>University of Louisiana at Monroe

Adam,

The binary release of GEMPAK 5.6 I provide is compiled under RedHat 7.1
on Intel machines. RedHat 7.1 provides glibc2.2, which is why if
you want to use the binary distribution, you should maintain the
current version of the OS. In your case, you are not running on an Intel
machine, nor are you running the current RedHat distribution.
A sparc processor is a different byte order than Intel chips,
so the binaries are not compatible.

I do provide binary releases of GEMPAK for Solaris Sparc machines.

In order to run GEMPAK on a sparc machine, under Linux, you would
have to complile the code locally since this is not a configuration that
we can support. That means, you will have to have Motif installed
(which isn't part of Linux). For RH7.x, openmotif is freely available.
Motif comes with Solaris.

Since the source distribution expects little Endian byte ordering
for Linux (sincfe the default configuration is Intel chips), you would
have to make some modifications to the configuration files for
Linux on a Big Endian byte order machine.

Steve Chiswell