20010717: viewing GOES imagery in garp on Linux

Steve,

You can ask GEMPAK to reserve fewer colors when launching ntl,
such as "ntl -s 32" which will allocate 32 colors for satellite
images rather than the default of 95. If you use this setting,
you should save 63 colors which will let you fit in under the 105 you have.

Also, ensure that you launch ntl before any other GEMPAK applications,
or web browsers etc., you may be able to find more colors available.

I've had luck with KDE setting the desktop ICON color usage to gray
for each of the 5 categories.

Other users have mentioned setting up multiple X servers with RH 7.x
so that you can toggle back and forth to a 24 bit for your browsers etc.,
and the 8 bit for GEMPAK (using twm or kde).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support