20010625: 20010618: Server for LDM

>From: karl <address@hidden>

>We are in fact running NFS3 and a single machine will be running 10-12
>copies of garp at once. The clients are pentium 2 windows machines.
>
>--------------------------------
>-Karl Brosius
>-Unix Administrator
>-Space Physics Research Facility
>"Implement Technology"

Karl,

The biggest resource that Garp or NMAP would be using is the
amount of memory used for creating image loops. If you
have 10-12 users all generating loops of images on the same
machine as you are using for your LDM ingest and data decoding,
then you are probably talking about a 2-4 processor server with
at least 1GB of RAM per CPU. If you offload the LDM and decoding
to a separate machine, you can lessen the impact of users on your
data decoding and processing needs. NMAP2 allows the users to
have up to 8 briefing/looping windows per session, so one copy of
the program has the potential for using a lot of resources
if each of the windows has loops of data being displayed.

With users moving X displays over the network, you probably want to
have your own network switch so that the traffic is kept within
the lab, rather than having the displays going out onto the campus
network.

As you know, GEMPAK uses an 8 bit default X display, so you would want to
verify that any X server that the PC's are using can provide that.
If your PII's are under the 200MHz range then the ability to rendor
the images for loops may turn out to be the limiting factor. You might
want to test the configuration before making big purchases.

Steve Chiswell