20010618: Server for LDM

Karl,

Below is the previous response I sent you regarding this question.
You should consider the questions I posed below.

We have a SUN E-450 serving a large number of LDM feeds (eg 20-30).
The machine has 1GB ram per processor.  The machine has a large number of
other tasks, not LDM or GEMPAK related, but the loads are generally low
for the horsepower it has. The machine has a hardware RAID.

As alternatives, we do have several high end PC computers (dual P-III)
which handle the LDM load well with RAID. The disk IO from the LDM is quite
high, so RAID devices are much better at balancing the load.
Cost wise, several PC's can be obtained for the price of the higher end
workstation,
so you might consider the question of whether you want users running
software packages on the same machine doing the LDM processing..

Steve Chiswell