20010606: 20010605: FNEXRAD

Dave,

These radar products are not images, rather, grid files. You
are decoding a grib product into a GEMPAK gridded data file.
So, you can display them with NMAP, Garp, gdcntr, gdplot2 etc.

If you are running GEMPAK 5.6.C.1, I provided some entries for
NMAP2.

Here is what you would do to display the products you are receiving
in NMAP2.

1) Edit the $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl file (In 5.6.C.1 there is
a template for NEXR which I use for the national NEXRAD mosaic).
If you are still running 5.6.A, then the template looks like:

NEXR         $GEMDATA/radar            YYYYMMDD_radr.gem         CAT_GRD
SCAT_ANL    4    720     30

(the lines wrapped above, if you insert in your table, space accoringly!).
Edit the path above as appropriate to your data directory.

If you are running 5.6.C.1, you are ready to go. If you haven't upgraded yet,
then:

2) Add the following line to $GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl:
Radar_Reflectivity_qc    $NMAP_RESTORE/radar/nexr/n0r_qc  radar
nexr;nexl;nexf

I've attatched a copy of the nts restore file mentioned above. Make the nts
restore directory with:
mkdir -p $NMAP_RESTORE/radar/nexr

Then place the attatched gdplot2 restore file in that directory as n0r_qc.

Now, try to display the data in NMAP2.
Pull up the "GRID" data selection from data, then select the "nexr" type in the
list of grid types. You will get a list of times in the data file- just pick the
latest.

After picking the time, you will get a "radar" category displayed, click on
that. Finally, you will have the plot option "Radar_Reflectivity_qc", choose
that and "accept".

Once you have the time bar, you can select a range of grids to display,
and run as you would any other product.

Also, I've started to insert the regional grid into the data queue here. You can
decode that with the pqact.conf line:

FNEXRAD ^radar_mosaic_regional_(.*) !.*!
        PIPE    -close  decoders/dcgrib2 -d
data/pub/decoded/gempak/logs/dcgrib.log
                -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
                data/pub/decoded/gempak/model/radar/YYYYMMDD_float_\1.gem

The pattern will store the regional grid in a unique file name using the
region name.

You can Add the NEXF template to datatype.tbl (I've just squeezed it onto one
line below, space accordingly in the datatype.tbl file):
NEXF $MODEL/radar  YYYYMMDD_float_*  CAT_GRD  SCAT_ANL    4    720     30

In the NMAP2 GRID menu, you will see one "nexf" entry for each site id.
For example, if you have files 20010606_float_mem.gem and
20010606_float_stl.gem, you will see entries "nexf:mem.gem" and "nexf:stl.gem".

That way, when the "regional" floater is changed during the day, you will be
able to keep unique grid files for each location/time period.

I added one more template here in datatype.tbl called NEXL which I would suggest
using if you generate your own "regional" composites with gdradr.

One more thing, I suggest scouring the files to the last 3 files (in
scour.conf, scout older than 2 days). Since there is 1 grid for each 5 minutes,
you end up with a lot of times to search through- scouring to 3 files makes that
reasonable.

Let me know if you have any questions on the configuration.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> >From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>
>
> >Chiz,
> >
> >Thanks, that fixed my problem receiving and decoding FNEXRAD data, but now I
> >have some more questions.  I am decoding the data into gempak format as per
> >the pqact.conf entry you suggested but I'm not sure how to go about telling
> >NMAP2 and garp to allow me to view the data.  Is there a template file I
> >have to modify to view this?
> >
> >I also ran into a support message that says that GEMPAK can display the
> >images directly, without the need for decoders.  Ok so now I am confused
> >(more than usual).  How does a simple sys admin who should pay more
> >attention to UNIDATA emails get FNEXRAD to display?
> >
> >Thanks in advance again!!
> >
> >Dave

!
! Restore File : RCM reflectivity