20010514: 20010507: 20010507: oabsnd and swap space

Chris,
I'm not saying that you can't run more than 1 GEMPAK program at the same time.
What I can say is:
1) if you have a program that frequently exits abnormally, and leaves behind
   a gplt, or other process, then the likelihood is that system resources will
   start to run short.

2) If 2 processes ask for a gplt at the same time, it is possible for both
programs
   to be issued the same message queue ID by the system. This happens because
   until the program actually gets the gplt process running, the system will
keep
   handing out the same available message queue. Using _gf programs where the
   gplt and gf processes are linked to the application reduces the total
   number of processes running on your system at any one time, and avoids the
   use of message queues- thereby avoiding the possible conflict above.

3) If multiple programs are running at the same time, you should have ntl
running
   on the display so that all processes use the shared color map so you don't
run out of
   colors on the display (you can run ntl on a screen:1 as well). Or, use the
gif device
   driver that doesn't require an X display to be running (you'll have to use
message queues
   for the gif driver - except with the radmap_sw program which I do have
linked with gif insted of gf).

Nothing has changed in the underlying message queue system between 5.4 and 5.6,
or the
shared color system- so that isn't a cause for differences.

when you say that models take 2-3 hours to run, are you saying that the time
over which the data
arrives is 2-3 hours, or are you saying that the GEMPAK programs take that long
to run?
I can help you organize actions to kick off when the LDM receives necessary
grids, or
determine when all the pieces of data exists so that you don't have to run
programs
multiple times to recreate plots as more data arrives. Let me know if I can
help you.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support