20010509: help for gdradr

Kevin,

Configuration for file templates for nmap2 (and the rest of GEMPAK) is
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl.

I have 2 templates already in the file "NEXR" and "NEXL". NEXR refers to
the US mosaic I created, and NEXL to the local mosaic. The NEXR template
for instance is: $GEMDATA/radar/YYYYMMDD_radr.gem You will have to
modify these according to your data locations.

When using NMAP2, selection data type "grid" will  have selections for
nexr and nexl using the $GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl entries:
!  NEXRAD Level III Mosaic
Radar_Reflectivity     $NMAP_RESTORE/radar/nexr/n0r radar nexr;nexl
Radar_Reflectivity_qc  $NMAP_RESTORE/radar/nexr/n0r_qc radar nexr;nexl

After selectin nexr in the GRID data type in NMAP2, you will get a list of times
in the gridded data files of radar data. You can simply choose the most recent
time in the list at the top. After clicking on a time, you will see
a product group called "radar", then the two products listed above.
The first should plot slightly faster since it just using the filled grid blocks
in gdplot2 for the data. The second "qc" uses the standard filled contours in
gdplot2. (you can plot the radar data using gdplot2 (or any other "GD" program
as well.

Once you have selected the product, such as Radar_Reflectivity_qc and clicked
on Accept, you will see the time line with the data times available.
A loop of 4 radar grids (360,000 points) for me takes about 30 seconds to
display.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support