20010417: Installation problem is with old Irix 6.2

Werner,

On IRIX 6.5, the -s is strip if -dir, -f or -F is not supplied, overriding
the meaning of the flag as "silent":

Usage:  install [-m mode] [-u owner] [-g group] [-idb attribute] [-new]
        [-o] [-O] [-rawidb idbpath] [-root rootpath] [-s] [-t] [-v]
        optionally, one of [-blk maj,min[,off]] [-chr maj,min[,off]] [-dir]
                           [-fifo] [-ln path] [-lns path] [-src path]
        one of [-f dir] [-F dir]        (mandatory unless -dir is used)
        file1 file2 ... fileN           (pathnames of files to install)

BSD/GNU compatibility (if none of -f, -F, or -dir was given):
        install [options] file1 file2
        install [options] files... directory
                -c: ignored.
                -d: equivalent to -dir
                -s: strip target (if strip is installed

Note that you must have strip installed from the developers utility
package to use the -s option.

The -s flag is useful when building with -g for debug perposes,
and later for installing the executable without rebuilding
to remove the symbol table. Since I have to maintain
multiple OS versions for supporting users, I use that flag here
on my IRIX 6.5.10m installation.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support