29910416: various stuff

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Kevin Polston wrote:

> Hey Steve,
>
> Thanks for the reply regarding the different grids for helicity. I tried
> experimenting this weekend with downloading the different grids (ie,
> ETA211, ETA212, and ETA215) and this is what I saw. The original ETA I
> was getting (I belive it is the ETA212 grid) was good through 60 hours
> except it doesn't have the helicity grid in it -- the ETA 211 and ETA
> 215 have helicity in it but then I am sacrificing other things for that
> grid. For instance....and this is what I saw when I checked the
> file...the ETA215 grid hs only a few mandatory levels and I never did
> see a "HGHT" grid in there. Unusual....it made me wonder if I was
> getting "everything". Nevertheless....I went back to what I was using
> before and will explore this some more in the near future. Thanks for
> your help.

Kevin,
The eta212 grid for ftp from the NWS does have the HLCY grid.
NOAAPORT does not. The 215 grid data sets provided are primarily
surface/boundary layer grids. Who needs a 20km grid of 300mb hght right?
I suppose their philosophy is to provide the high resolution grids where
the higher frequency adds extra information.

Here is my source for the CONDUIT eta 212:
ftp://140.90.88.103/ncep/erl/icwf.yymmdd/eta.TxxZ.AWIP3Dhh.tm??
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data1/eta/erl.yymmdd/eta.TxxZ.AWIP3Dhh.tm??

> Second thing is more of a request and I hope it is possible for you to
> accomodate. I have been trying to get satellite data for sometime now to
> run with either NSAT or GARP or NMAP. I had originally got in touch with
> AWC (since they are right next door) however...despite us being so close
> together...the satellite files were going through Central Region
> Headquarter's lines and slowing down their system.....so after a few
> tries that option was terminated. I was only grabbing three image types
> too (vis, ir, wv). So then I was able to set up something at work on the
> Training Center side where I can get some data going from AWIPS to LDAD
> and then I am able to access it.  However....it is still limited and not
> necessarily timely. I saw from the website you directed me to that you
> have what looks like several options available for satellite imagery.
> This is what I saw at motherlode.ucar.edu and then under the "raw data"
> link. However....it required a password. I was hoping that there would
> be a way I could have the password so I could get at (ftp) satellite
> data. Would this be possible?  I of course would keep everything
> confidential and not mention to anyone about that in case you wanted to
> keep users to a minimum. But it would be of great benefit to me if I
> could get access to the satellite data. I would greatly appreciate it if
> this could happen.

We have 2 sources on motherlode. The GINI data from NOAAPORT, and our
McIDAS AREA files from SSEC/Wisconsin. GEMPAK can handle both formats. The
GINI are of course remapped from their original satellite projection. The
AREA files are in their native projection. The data directories are populated
by the feeds from our LDM. You can try your luck at downloading some. The
idea of the files on motherlode is to provide a backup source for our IDD
and ADDE service rather than realtime access.

> Regarding your upgrades to NAWIPS......besides the ability to do
> composite imagery with the radars what other new features will be
> available? With regard to the radar imagery....correct me if I am wrong
> here....on the website it showed the national image/loop as a 4km image.
> The regional image/loop says it is at a .9 km resolution. Is that
> correct? That should be pretty darn good if that is the case. If I were
> using one of the NAWIPS programs how would I go about setting the region
> to display? Is it something from the menu/gui that you can do or is it
> done another way. Also....can you composite "other" data types such as
> VIL, SRM, etc or is it just base reflectivity?  Is there a function in
> there where you can "filter out" lower reflectivity values?  Sory for
> all the questions but I am just getting fired up about this. I saw over
> the weekend the website was moved to where the big storms were going on.
> I looped it and it looked really good. So that made me more anxious to
> see it running.   :-)
>
> Well thanks for all your help and time....I really do appreciate it.
>
> KP

The way I composite radars is to define a GEMPAK grid over the domain.
The grid resolution is whatever garea/proj/kxky (or cpyfil) that is
specified. I am plotting the data with gdplot2, so of course
you can select the fill interval. For a default, I am displaying dBZ
values greater than 0, but the data does have clear air values down to
-28dBZ which I am not displaying. Since the data is a grid, I am able to
do grid calculations such as the precipitation type mosaic using
the RUC grids. The program will work on any of the nids products
that GEMPAK can display. Of course, some products like radial velocity
aren't meaningful in a mosaic.

I provided a link on the web page to automatically change the floater
region (password protected). My hope is to have one of our universities
have their students set the domain of the regional composite.
Sites will be able to create their own composites locally, but I figured it
would be nice for a regional floater that follows the active weather to be
provides as part of our data strea,.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support