20010328: Data ingest to GEMPAK

>From: "Nancy J. Selover" <address@hidden>

>We have the Unidata system and GEMPAK here at ASU; Dr. Joe Zehnder and
>Luis Farfan are working with it.  We need to know if we can ingest some
>surface point data from alert rain gages, and automated weather networks
>around Arizona.  Does the GEMPAK system have a particular database with
>which it is compatible, or does a special interface program need to be
>written to do this?  These will not be real-time data, but archived data.
>
>Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
>
>Nancy Selover
>Asst. State Climatologist
>Office of Climatology
>Arizona State University
>Tempe, AZ  85287-1508
>voice: 480-965-0580
>fax: 480-965-1473
>address@hidden

Nancy,

Surface data can be imported into gempak using the SFEDIT program
and an ASCII file format following the format that SFLIST outputs:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/decoders3.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/importingdata.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/importing_exercises.html

You can also write programs to interface with the GEMPAK files directly
using the GEMLIB storage routines.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support