20010308: GEMCOLTBL

>From: Tim Doggett <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>We just upgraded to Gempak 5.6.A and found that all of our script generated
>images are back to black background.  We had used the GEMCOLTBL and Xvfb to
>develop white background maps... they are much more printer friendly.
>
>I found in the archives that this option was discontinued and you suggested
>using the gpcolor program with nawk generated input.  I have made this
>work, but it is adding noticeable time to the generation of our products,
>as the script has to be run for each file created.  Also, I had to modify
>the script slightly to use:DEV = gf|filename.gif (instead of XW as you
>suggested).  Since the gpcolor input file needs to be regenerated for each
>product, implementing this into all our scripts will be cumbersome.
>
>Is it possible to get GEMCOLTBL back?  It would certainly make things alot
>easier to deal with.  Thanks.
>
>-Tim

>Tim Doggett
>Assistant Professor
>Texas Tech University
>Atmospheric Science Group, Department of Geosciences
>Phone: (806)742-3477
>Fax: (806)742-1738

Tim,

I will be releaseing GEMPAK 5.6.B in the next week or so and will add my
GEMCOLTBL environmental variable back. One other thought that you
might want to try is that the driver will search for coltbl.xwp in the
local directory first, before $GEMTBL/colors. In this case, if you
create a working directory for your script, you can copy your
color table to the name coltbl.xwp in that directory and get those colors.

Steve CHiswell