Re: 20010207: 20010201: motif and linux

Steve,

Thank you for your reply. I think I fixed the problem and I thought I'd
share it in case somebody else will run into it in the future.

For users starting X from the command line using a command like startx or
kde, the simple answer is to append two dashes followed by a space, a
dash, and then the desired color depth to the end of the command line. For
example:

startx -- -bpp 8

will set the color depth to 8 bit. The command:

startx -- -bpp 16

will set it to 16 bit

Note that the next time X is started (assuming that no arguments are
given), the defaul color depth will once again be used.

To change the default color depth at which X is started, check for
occurances of the "DefaultColorDepth" keyword in the XF86Config file
(usually stored in /etc or /etc/X11) and change the number following the
keyword to the depth desired. Be sure to chance all occurances of the
keyword in the file.

Source:
http://www.linux.about.com/compute/linux/library/weekly/aa110899q-a.htm

Ciao!

Cristina

   Cristina Lozej Archer
   PhD Student
   Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering          Tel: 650 723 1825
   Stanford University                                        Fax: 650 725 9720
   Stanford, CA 94305-4020                     Email: address@hidden
   http://www.stanford.edu/~lozej