20010207: navigation GOES-8

>From:  Jeff Weber <address@hidden>

Jeff,

>Have you noticed that for about the past month GOES-8 has had navigational
>issues?
>
>At least while being viewed via GARP/GEMPAK.
>
>It appears to be off by about 1 degree long at 30 lat...(Florida)

Since I hadn't been looking at GOES imagery lately (been playing with
the GINI stuff almost exclusively), I decided to check out a daytime
VIS image over (28,81).  The image:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/goes8vis_18.gif

is a GOES-East, 18Z VIS (0.65 um) image from Wednesday, Feb. 7.
I have accentuated the black-white contrast stretch to highlight the
land-sea boundary and overlain the image with a high resolution map
and LAT,LON lines every 2 degrees using McIDAS-X 7.7.

As you can see from the display, the navigation for this image is
essentially right on the money.

I then looked at a current GINI IR (10.7 um) image and did about
the same thing as above.  The results are in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/goes8ir_01.gif

The navigation on this image, while not perfect, is certainly not
off by 1 degree.

Tomorrow we should take a look at what you are seeing (after your
Java class?).

Tom

>From: Jeff Weber <address@hidden>
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:54:32 -0700 (MST)

Tom-

I kicked out of JAVA class a bit early...doing exercises I can do here as
well.

I still have a 1 to 2 degree navigational error using my interface.

Indeed, your imagery does not appear to have nav issues.Hmmmmm.

-Jeff