20010207: Sounding Question

>From: "James R. Kirk" <address@hidden>

>Greetings from Edinboro, PA:
>
>I am a professor at Edinboro Univ. but also a graduate student at Penn
>State.  I TELNET to a Sun Workstation at Penn State named "stokes" and run
>GEMPAK using x-windows from my PC in my office at Edinboro.  I am not sure
>what version of GEMPAK I am using but I would imagine that Penn State is one
>of your sites.  If the version is critical, then I can find out.

You can find out the version by typing "version" at the gempak prompt
of a program (such a gdprof).

>I want to generate a sounding using GEMPAK but I am not sure how this is
>done.  Is there anyway to do this from the GEMPAK grid file I am using, or
>do I have to create a GEMPAK sounding file?  If I have to create a sounding
>file, can I do this from the GEMPAK grid file?

Use gdprof for a skew-t from a gridded file (or you can use Garp or nsharp).
In gdprof, type "phelp gdprof" for online help.

You will need to run gdprof twice for a traditional skew-t plot.
Run once for GFUNC=tmpc, CLEAR=yes to plot the temperature profile.
The second time, use GFUNC=dwpc, CLEAR=no to overlay the dewpoint profile.

Set GPOINT to the station id or lat;lon you want the profile for.

See the online help for the other variables of gdprof.

>Any help is much appreciated.
>
>Jim Kirk
>(address@hidden)

Steve Chiswell