20010131: gempak/garp questions - follow-up

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

>Chiz,
>
>Thanks for the help.  Most of your fixes work, but I'm still stuck on a
>few:
>
>> I have comments for your questions below. The radar rings and profiler
>> plots in garp are genuine bugs due to the change in the underlying
>> GEMPAK library. I have posted fixes as detailed below. Thanks for
>> pointing out these problems.
>
>Sounds like I'll finally have to get a compiler so I can implement the
>fixes as they are issued.  Right now, I have to rely on binaries.

Ok....I'm trying to get 5.6b released soon so I didn't recompile
the binaries....but I'll get a new binary of garp posted as soon as I can.

>> >In garp, my color topo map backgrounds aren't there.  How or what do I
>> >configure to be able to use these again?
>>
>> They are there in $GARPHOME/map/areas in the distribution, and the
>> $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults configuration file is set up with:
>> colormapdir     : $(GARPHOME)/map/areas
>>
>> If you don't have that path, then set it back to the above.
>
>I think this is all set up right since I can display the other color topo
>maps such as GOES-8, 9, No Hem, etc, but only a map with county borders
>appears for Colorado or Central Rockies.  The files are in
>$GARPHOME/map/areas and my Garp_defaults is configured to find them, I
>just don't get the color topo like the others. This is what I get:
>
>GEMPAK: [IM 1] No image type entry for file
>^/usr/local/gempak/GEMPAK5.6/comet/garp/map/areas/topo_CO.area

need to add these 2 lines to $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl:
TOPO1                TOPO          0    255     99      1      1 GRAY
GOES7                VIS           0    255     33      1      1 GRAY

>Thanks again,
>
>Tony

>   Anthony A. Rockwood              Metropolitan State College of Denver
>   Meteorology Program              Dept.of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>   303.556.8399                     P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 22
>   address@hidden                Denver, CO  80217-3362
>   fax: 303.556.4436                www.mscd.edu/~eas

Steve Chiswell