20010111: plotting more than one NIDS radars

>From: Mike Leuthold <address@hidden>

>Chiz,
>       I'm attempting to create a mosaic of NIDS sites via GEMPAK.  Is
>this possible with 5.6a?  I attempted to use gpmap, setting RADFIL to a
>different radar each time with CLEAR=N.  Just plotted the first RADAR.
>
>       I have been doing this in the past (for two RADARs)using McIDAS. I
>converted the NIDS files to AREA files then combining the AREA files
>together.  If I can't get GEMPAK to do it, I'll install the new McIDAS and
>do it there.  Any other methods you know of?
>
>Thanks again!
>
>Mike
>

>--
>Mike Leuthold
>Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics
>University of Arizona
>address@hidden
>520-621-2863

Mike,

The major obstacle here is that each NIDS image will have its own projection.
So, to create a composite, you have to reproject them all to a common
projection. GEMPAK does not currently have the capability to reproject
an image, so that is the limitation.

I plan on looking at creating a program that will composite the NIDS,
but the other issue is handling areas where the radars overlap.
So, until then, McIDAS is your solution. Or, if you can live with
the 10km GRIB, you can display that as a national composite
product in NMAP from Grid/RCMG (eg, the HAXA00 KWBC product).

Steve Chiswell