20010111: GEMPAK installation for decoders etc.

Tony,

I'm out of the office today trying to get things ready to leave for Albuquerque
Saturday AM. I am planning on being in the office tomorrow to move things
from the temp offices to the new space.

In regards to setting up the GEMPAK decoders for LDM, the pqact.conf examples in
the tutorial assume that all of the $GEMEXE/dc* files have been copied or linked
into the ~ldm/decoders directory. The pqact.conf examples all use
PIPE    decoders/dc.....
where pqact will look for the decoders directory under $LDMHOME.

Then, as you mention, you will have to create data directories as the ldm which
the decoders will write into. From ~ldm, these are:

mkdir -p data/gempak/logs
mkdir -p data/gempak/acars
mkdir -p data/gempak/acft
mkdir -p data/gempak/airm
mkdir -p data/gempak/model
mkdir -p data/gempak/isig
mkdir -p data/gempak/nldn
mkdir -p data/gempak/mos
mkdir -p data/gempak/profiler
mkdir -p data/gempak/surface
mkdir -p data/gempak/ship
mkdir -p data/gempak/syn
mkdir -p data/gempak/upperair
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/ffg
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/hrcn
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/sels
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/warn
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/wtch
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/watches
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/tropic/atlantic
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/tropic/epacific
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/tropic/cpacific
mkdir -p data/gempak/storm/tropic/wpacific
mkdir -p data/gempak/images/sat
mkdir -p data/gempak/nexrad

(you should be able to just clip those lines and paste them into your
shell and execute them all)

You will find the pqact.conf patterns for decoders in the GEMPAK www pages
under:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl

You can download those from the web, edit the environmental variables
"-e GEMTBL=xxxxx" lines thoughout to match where $GEMTBL is on your system.
There is also one -e GEMPAK=xxx for the dcmosm decoder to set.

The nwx pattern/actions will create their directory structure from the LDM
automatically. The entries for pqact.conf are in:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/nwx.tbl
Those should be all set without any addditional editing.

Edit your $NAWIPS/Gemenviron file to define
GEMDATA as your ~ldm/data/gempak
MODEL as  $GEMDATA/model
HRS as $GEMDATA/model
RAD as $GEMDATA/nexrad
SAT as $GEMDATA/images/sat

You will find the FILE actions for the NEXRAD feedtype in the
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/images.tbl
The patterns for Tom's pnga2area decoder for the MCIDAS feed are
in there as well.

When downloading the pqact.conf entries from the web, just use the right mouse
button from the browser to save as to your disk...that way, tabs are preserved.
When incorporating them into your own pqact.conf file, just read in those files
where you want them inserted (if you cut and paste using an xterm, the tabs get
replaced by spaces).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support