20010109: remap satellite imagery?

>From: address@hidden (Chris Hennon)

>From perusing the email archives it appears that gempak only displays
>satellite imagery and does not have the ability to remap the data -
>correct?
>
>I have a series of "raw" GOES images that I need to convert to a more
>friendly projection.  Looks like I'll need Mcidas-x to do this.  Could you
>tell me how to obtain the mcidas distribution?  Thanks.
>
>Chris

>| Chris Hennon        Ohio State University   |
>| Tropical Meteorology      address@hidden   |
>|                                              |
>| Dept of Geography   Office: 1155 Derby Hall  |
>| 1036 Derby Hall     Phone : (614) 292-2704   |
>| Columbus, OH 43210  Fax   : (614) 292-6213   |

Chris,

This is correct. GEMPAK displays AREA files, navigates and clips them,
but does not remap them. Instead, GEMPAK will reproject displayed data
to that projection.

The AREA files from the Unidata/Wisconsin IDD data stream (eg feedtype
MCIDAS) are in the native satellite projection which GEMPAK just
displays. The GINI images from NOAAPORT are already remapped into
stereographic or mercator projections.

I'll let Tom send you information regarding McIDAS.

Steve Chiswell