20001218: compiling gempak 5.6 on RH 6.2

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

>I'm trying to compile gempak 5.6 on a Redhat 6.2 system.  The make and
>make install scripts runs through but fail to create executables for many
>of the graphical programs (garp, nwx, nsharp....).  I've found a few
>errors in reviewing make.out.  Here is an example:
>
>/usr/local/gempak/lib/linux/device.a: could not read symbols: Archive has
>no ind
>ex; run ranlib to add one
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[5]: *** [gn] Error 1
>make[5]: Leaving directory
>`/usr/local/gempak/gempak/source/driver/active/gn'
>

>Mark Tucker
>Information Technology
>Lyndon State College
>address@hidden
>http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu

Mark,

if the archive does not have a symbol table, you should be able to fix
this with:

cd $GEMLIB
ranlib *.a

Then, go back to $NAWIPS and run:
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

I don't know why the symbol table was not added with the "ar -S" command
which is defined in the Makeinc.linux file. It could be that some objects were
not written to the archive for some reason.

The above "ranlib" command can always be run to recreate the symbol table in
in the library files.

Steve Chiswell