20001207: missing SAO data

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

>Chiz,
>
>Thanks.  I didn't find anything in the log files, but I did find a big
>core file that was written at about the time the surface obs quit.  I
>deleted it, re-started the LDM, and I'm now getting obs again.  I know
>that my disk space is getting low, so maybe the core file was enough to
>put it over the top?
>
>Anyway, I think I'm ok now.
>
>Tony

>   Anthony A. Rockwood              Metropolitan State College of Denver
>   Meteorology Program              Dept.of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
>   303.556.8399                     P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 22
>   address@hidden                Denver, CO  80217-3362
>   fax: 303.556.4436                www.mscd.edu/~eas

Tony,
Yes, a core file, combined with when scouring actually occurs could
mean that disk space was not available and the GEMPAK file couldn't
be written.

You can always check your disk partition usage with: df -k
Also, if the core file appears frequently, you can determine
which program created it with the command "file core".
If a decoder is frequently core dumping, then that is something
that should be fixed (or upgraded).

Steve Chiswell