20001116: Decoders

>From: address@hidden

>Decoder Options.
>
>I am looking at the instructions for the dcredbook decoder.
>
>Decoder options say for the -p option, "set the parameter packing table."
>
>Set it to which table?
>
>Same for the -s option.
>
>Where can I find documentation on these options?
>

>                         Mike Urzen
>                         NCDC
>

>        ****** Signature Tag ******
>
>        National Climatic Data Center

Mike,

The "dc" model tries to use the same "flags" for all the decoders, so
printing help "-h" for the decoders gives the same list for all programs
after the initial description of the individual program.

Some flags are not applicable for all decoders. In this case, dcredbook really
doesn't decode anything, rather, it just creates a plot of the redbook graphic
it receives, similar to the way GPMAP would, only it receives that data
via standard input rather than a file.

The only flags useful for dcredbook at this time are -e, -v and -d.
I will update the dcredbook.hlp file to indicate this.

The web page I posted at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/redbook/
shows an example of a pqact.conf pattern action, and script which
plots the redbook files. The script sources Gemenviron to set up
the GEMPAK environment needed by the program. In particular, GEMTBL
and GEMMAPS are used for reading the product name and locating the map
files respectively. As long as these variables are set in the environment,
the plotting should be able to produce its product.

Steve Chiswell