20001113: Displaying Satellite data in GEMPAK

Tom,

Satellite data can be displayed directly in any GEMPAK program
which uses SATFIL as the satellite file name and PROJ=sat
(eg gpmap, sfmap, gdcntr etc.).

Also, NSAT allows the user to browse any directory for satellite images
by using the "FILE", "User Defined" option.

For the automatic popup widgets to list the satellite files, times, etc
in the GUI programs (Garp, NMAP, NSAT), you should file the satellite data into
the directory hierarchy as described in the GEMPAK tutorial and set
the SAT environmental variable (defined in the Gemenviron script)
to point to the top of the data directory.

For pqact.conf pattern/actions that directly file the satellite AREA files
into the hierarchy required for the GUIs to automatically provide the selection
widgets, see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/images.tbl

For a description of the satellite data hierarchy, see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/nsat.html

For an example of displaying satellite data using GPMAP, see
question number 2 at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/gpmap.html

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support