20001018: linux gempak

>From: <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>  hi, I'm having issues with color allocation with gdcntr and others and
>am wondering if you guys at unidata know of an easy solution to overcome
>this problem. Is there something I need to alter with gempak, or something
>with my machine? What changes would I need to make to get things to work
>and plot in color on Linux redhat 7.0?
>
>Thanks,
>  Steve Saleeby
>
>Colorado State University
>Atmospheric Science
>970-491-8588

Steve,

First off, Gnome is a color hog. If you're running that, try running KDE
instead, as well as closing any of those file managers that eat up lots of
colors.

When you try to launch "ntl" which is the shared color map and gui launcher,
it will tell you if you don't have the expected number of colors. If you
are a little short, specifying fewer colors for imagery is usually
a good place to try to lessen the number of colors needed. By default,
satellite images will use 95 colors. You can launch "ntl -s 64" for
example to request that only 64 colors are requested.

You should launch ntl before any other color intensive applications, such as
web
browsers. Once you have ntl running, all GEMPAK applications will share that
colormap.

Steve Chiswell