20001016: REDBOOK Graphics

Dave,

An example that shows a pqact.conf pattern for sending redbook
products to dcredbook for plotting is shown at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/redbook/
If you want individual product IDs, then $GEMTBL/pgen/awdef.tbl
is a good starting point (as well as the NWS-changes announcements.

The decoding script shows the simplest pattern which passes everything redbook
to the dcredbook plotted. Use dcredbook_gf for making gifs, dcredbook_ps for ps,
or dcredbook (as a generic use) for any of the device drivers (including the
vg). With the vg, the products can be imported into NMAP.

Or, set the AWPSFL variable to the redbook file name in GPMAP for overlaying
the analysis on data etc. The redbook 3 hourly surface anlyses include
isobars and frontal positions. You can overlay these on the decoded surface data
for something akin to what is available on DIFAX.

I'll be updating the tutorial this week and and will try to provide script
examples for producing some of the common products that DIFAX provides.
If you have a few "must" DIFAX products that you can provide me with, I can
target those in the examples.

Chiz

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, David Knight wrote:

> Hi Chiz,
> >
> > To celebrate Friday the 13th,
>
> Aren't you daring...
> I grabbed it and installed it today.
>
> > I have provided examples of REDBOOK graphics, as well as a
> > instructions for sending these products directly to a laser writer
> > (including
> > tabloid paper sizes) for those sites wishing to explore what forecaster
> > products
> > are available currently in NOAAPORT.
> >
> This was one of the features I wanted to look at.
> Unfortunately I wasn't very impress by
> the sample rebook graphics you posted.
> (for example, it seems non of the surface
> or upper air analysis include the data!)
>
> I couldn't find the required pattern/action
> entries for storing redbook graphics.
> Nor could I find the instructions for
> printing them. Did I miss these somehow?
>
> Later,
> David

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support