20000909: Zonal Wind Plot

Daryl,

I have tried to duplicate your problem, but basically can't duplicate your
problem. First, let me make sure you are using a CED grid, otherwise
XAV which is the average along a grid row will not be along a constant
latitude (and therefore will change with your cxstns longitude position).

I tested using the global AVN thinned grid. And ran for:
cxstns = -80;150>80;150
cxstns = -80;-150>80;-150
cxstns = -80;-30>80;-30

Basically, all the contours aligned- except for a few small variations
for wiggles in the 0 line between east and west zonal winds. I presume
that you are seeing much greater differences. Or is this the type of
discrepancy you are seeing?

I believe the wiggles I am seeing around 0 are roundoff errors in interpolating
from the CXSTNS lat/lon values to the projected grid point locations amd
then gridding these for the x-z display.

If you are seeing greater difference in the complete pattern, then it would
help me to know what the grid projection you are using is, the source of the
data,
and if possible, a gif image of the variations overlaid.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support