20000914: GEMPAK license

>From: "Richard M. Eckman" <address@hidden>

>I work for a NOAA lab in Idaho Falls, and was recently looking at a
>description of the GEMPAK software. Can you tell me whether NOAA has any
>kind of existing license for Unidata software, or whether a NOAA lab
>would be treated just like any other Unidata nonmember? I know that NCEP
>and other NOAA organizations have used GEMPAK, but it isn't clear
>whether they purchased individual licenses for the software.
>
>       Regards,
>         Rick Eckman
>
>********************************
>Richard M. Eckman, Ph.D.
>NOAA/ARL Field Research Division
>Idaho Falls, ID
>phone: (208) 526-2740
>fax  : (208) 526-2549
>********************************

Rick,

Unidata obtains GEMPAK from the developers at NCEP, not the other
way around. We do not sell the package in any way. NWS offices generally
obtain the software though the SOO/SAC program. Other National Centers
(such as TPC, MPC, SPC etc.) obtain the software from NCEP.

The only NOAA site we currently have is NCDC as a result of collaborative
activities.

The only other distribution mechanism I know of is through the National
Technology transfer Center:
http://www.nttc.edu/cosmic/
http://www.nttc.edu/cosmic/abstracts/gsc-13402.html

Steve Chiswell