20000822: GEMPAK postscript output and satellite images

>From: David Ovens <address@hidden>

>Hello,
>
>It just dawned on me why this doesn't work, now I am wondering if
>there any plans for this to work in the future.  I am trying to
>generate a postscript file from a gdplot that has a satellite overlay
>on it.  Though the gf and xw drivers work, I am guessing that the psc
>driver doesn't work because it only has 32 colors instead of 128 or
>256 that the satellite image needs.  Am I right?
>
>Any plans for a PS driver that can handle satellite images as well?  I
>generated a plot using xw -xwd -xwd2ps and it doesn't look too
>bad, do you know of any better way to get a plot for a postscript
>printer?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David
>--
>
>David Ovens            e-mail: address@hidden
>(206) 685-8108          plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for Pacific Northwest
>Research Meteorologist
>Dept of Atmospheric Sciences, Box 351640
>University of Washington
>Seattle, WA  98195

David,

The PS, NC, VC and HP drivers in GEMPAK 5.4 only support vector graphics
(eg lines and text etc) as device independent drawing routines. XW and GF
utilize the X display to render the images, so your xwd2ps or imagemagick
import etc. are dependent on your screen resolution, and therefore you
are probably limited to 72 to 150 dpi on yourprint even though the
printer may be 600dpi. I generally use imagemagick's import or convert programs
since they allow scaling of images with color interpolation- rather than
strict sampling of an image for resizing.

Postscript does provide for an image raster, and GEMPAK 5.5 will create
postscript output for images.

Steve Chiswell