20000728: GEMPAK TIMELINE

Tom,

I don't have a date at present because I don't have updated documentation
for the User Guide from NCEP. I want it out soon so that sites
can install it before classes. It may be that I have to make the distribution
without an updated userguide at the time of release

I will correct the statement below. Gempak does have the PS capability now.
Garp is written to output using the GIF driver. NMAP which will be added
in Gempak 5.5 does output to the PS driver- including images. NMAP includes
other features such as allowing the student to draw contours, lables, fronts
etc on the display which is a nice capability that Garp doesn't provide.
Some features that Garp currently has (such as vertical profiles) are
not part of NMAP yet.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support