20000701: Request info about GEMPAK licenses

Bob,

Previous exchange on this topic is at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/3140

If you will take responsibility for the support of the schools (eg:
installing software, providing the data to them - either through IDD
or ftping over your data files etc), then I have no problem with
the schools using GEMPAK. Any problems they have should be addressed
through you and not directly to Unidata. In that way, you are still the
licensed user and we should not have to go through the process of
licensing them separately.

I would assume you would download the software from here, and
install on their systems in lieu of providing them any access to
the protected FTP account here and having to go through separate
licensing. It should be understood that the software should only be
used for education and not further redistributed or used for other
purposes. I would suggest that you remove the software when it is
no longer used for your project.

If all that seems reasonable, I will try to provide you with all the support
effort I can. From my understanding, the schools will be running Linux
on a PC platform (recall that GEMPAK uses an 8 bit default X server-
and since most PCs have 24 bit color capability, you may need to
specifically configure their servers to use the 8 bit default.
Other than that, most sites have had good success running GEMPAK
on well configured PCs...I'd suggest at least 128MB of ram, probably
256MB would be better.

I will be releasing GEMPAK 5.5 sometime this summer, so you should be aware
of those changes as they occur.

Please let us know about your efforts to proceed, as I'm sure that
we will be interested in knowing how things are going.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support