20000622: station/cloud cover circles in GEMPAK

>From: weather <address@hidden>

>I should know this but I can't figure it out.  How can I
>reduce the size of the cloud cover/station marker circle on
>a GEMPAK surface map?  Also how could I make the wind barbs smaller?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

From "phelp sfparm":
      In the case of weather symbols,  the size, line width and other
      information needed to draw the symbol may be specified following a
      colon after the symbol name and after the function specifications
      if any exist.  The drawing attributes are separated by colons.  For
      all the symbols, the information is entered as:size:width;for arrows
      and barbs the information is entered as :size:width:type:headsiz,
      where the headsiz applies only to arrows.  The type is a three-digit
      number, ABC, interpreted digit by digit as follows:

             A                       B                      C
         1 = plot calm wind   1 = start at stn        1 = not filled
         2 = ignore calm wind 2 = center at stn       2 = filled
                              3 = start on sky symbol 3 = not filled with box
                                                      4 = filled with box

      Calm winds are plotted as a circle or an arrowhead for barbs and
      arrows, respectively.  Arrowheads and 50-unit barb flags are filled
      if C=2 or 4. A box is plotted with background color if C = 3 or 4.
      For example, if TYPE=132, a barb will be plotted as a circle if the
      wind is calm; it will begin on the edge of the cloud cover symbol,
      and 50-unit flags will be filled.  The default is 111 unless sky
      symbols are being plotted in which case it is 131.

eg:
sfparm = skyc:.5;brbk:.7

Steve Chiswell