20000616: gdthgt and gvcord=hght

>From: weather <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>
>I got that to work.  I can create 2m grids and then display
>2m and 10m barbs using gdthgt.  Now for the next question..
>if I change the $GEMTBL/grid/vcrdgrib1.tbl so that hagl
>becomes hght will that mess up decoding or will simply
>everything now that gets deocded as hagl become hght?
>
>Second question which I may have asked already..would there
>be anyway to do the same thing (time series of wind barbs)
>of the boundary layer winds (30:0 pagl).  gdthgt would
>does not like the pagl(or pdly) coordinate.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

Yes, all you need to do is change the vcrdgrib1.tbl entries.
NCEP has changed those definitions for their new tables. I will
hjave to use those new definitions in the tables in the next gempak release.
The only problem will be maintaining old scripts which use pagl and hagl.
You will need to add the pdly coordinate to the Garp_defaults configuration.

GEMPAK has 5 known coordinates (THTA, HGHT, NONE, PRES and SGMA) which it can
use
for certain transformations. Anything else is just a coordinate which there is
no
default transformation for the programs to convert to. That is the problem
you are refering to with PAGL and PDLY.

Steve Chiswell