Re: 20000613: Gempak - making gifs

Steve,

I was able to make gifs with NTL running. Then I had trouble getting the gifs
to produce in a script, even when nothing else was running on the machine. But,
it sounds like others have had this problem.

So, I installed the Xvfb binaries as seems to be the thing to do from the
archives...and voila...we're cookin' with gas.

thanks for your help,

Mike

At 12:46 PM 6/13/00 -0600, you wrote:

>Mike,
>Chris' problem turned out to be that he had edited $GEMTBL/colors/coltbl.tbl
>and
>added more than 32 colors into the table. As it turned out, if you use NTL
>which
>uses the color tables in $NAWIPS/tables/nawips.clr, then the problem was
>bypassed.
>When he ran the gf driver without ntl, then the $GEMTBL/colors files are used.
>See : http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/3600
>
>In general, if you are not using ntl, which makes sure you have all the colors
>you will need),
>then you run the risk of the driver not being able to obtain all the colors it
>needs for
>the graphic if you are sending to a display with browsers, answerbook etc
>running on it.
>
>Steps to check for your problem.
>
>1) make sure you don't have any hung massage queue that are causing trouble
>(ipcs will show these).
>
>2) Make sure you have your DISPLAY environmental variable set so that the
>driver can contact the
>   X display.
>
>3) Check to see if you have a file or directory called "gf" in your woring
>directory. If so,
>   gempak will try to execute that as the driver instead of $GEMEXE/gf.
>
>4) Make sure you can get all the colors you need by launching ntl.
>

>Have you previously had success and now have a problem, or have you just
>started to use the gf driver?
>Remember, when running from a cron that you don't have the DISPLAY variable
>set in the environment
>until you define it in the script. Also make sure you can run other X programs
>like xterm to
>the display (Sun has magic cookies, and you must be allowed to draw to the
>display).
>

>Steve Chiswell
>Unidata User Support
>

>>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>
>
>>Steve,
>>
>>I'm trying to make some gifs with device=gf in gempak. I get an error:
>>*** TERMINATING  gf
>>*** Received signal 11 SIGSEGV
>>
>>I looked in the support archives and followed a thread you had going with Chri
>> s Hennon who seemed to have a similar problem. If I follow the conclusion of
>> that correctly, you ended up copying over an executable built on your machine
>> :

>>...and this cleared up at least this portion of his problem.
>>
>>I'm running Solaris 2.6 with gempak patched through pl15. Could you make a sug
>> gestion as to how I might proceed in my touble shooting efforts?
>>
>>Thank You,
>>
>>Mike
>>

>>--------------------------
>>Mike Voss

> [...]