Re: 20000607: Color Allocation

> Patrick,
>
> From your xdpyinfo shown below:
>
> >  default visual id:  0x22
> >  visual:
> >    visual id:    0x22
> >    class:    TrueColor
>

> That means that your default visual is a 24 bit TrueColor display.
> Gempak requires an 8 bit pseudocolor default display.
>
> You can have other TrueColor viuals on the system, but the
> default must be 8 bit.
>
> The Xsun session configuration is generally configured in
> /etc/dt/config/Xservers. This might be a line to either
> Xservers.24bit or Xservers.8bit
>

> In the Xservers file, you should have a line for starting your :0 screen which
> generally for 8 bits looks something like:
>
>  :0   Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -dev
> /dev/fbs/ffb0
>
> whereas 24 bit would have:
>
> :0   Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -dev
> /dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24
>

> The -dev option for Xsun supports the defdepth option:
>
>      -dev filename
>              This option specifies the name  of  the  framebuffer
>              device file to be used instead of the default frame-
>              buffer /dev/fb.  Multiple instances of  this  option
>              indicate multiple screens on the same server.  After
>              each -dev option a list  of  modifiers  changes  the
>              behavior of the named device.
>
>              [ left | right | top | bottom ]
>                   Specify the position of a given screen in rela-
>                   tion  to  the previous one on the command line.
>                   The default right.
>
>              dpix n
>                   The dpi in the x direction for this  screen  is
>                   n.  The default is 90.
>
>              dpiy n
>                   The dpi in the y direction for this  screen  is
>                   n.  The default is 90.
>
>              defclass [ GrayScale | StaticGray | PseudoColor |
>                   StaticColor | DirectColor | TrueColor ] Use the
>                   specified  visual  as  the default visual.  The
>                   default is device dependent.
>
>              defdepth n
>                   A visual of depth n is the default visual.  The
>                   default is device dependent.
>

> You should be able to specify defclass PseudoColor or defdepth  8
> if the default for your hardward is not 8 bits.
>
> Steve Chiswell
> Unidata User Support
>

> **************************************************************************** <
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
> (303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- <
> Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <
> **************************************************************************** <

Steve:

That was *exactly* what I needed!  Thanks so much.  Here is what worked:

   :0   Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -dev
/dev/fb defdepth 8

GEMPAK and ntl both are running fine now.

Thanks again.

pat

Dr. Patrick S. Market
Dept. of Soil & Atmospheric Sciences
University of Missouri-Columbia                 Phone:  (573) 882 - 1496
203 Gentry Hall                                 Fax:    (573) 884 - 5133
Columbia, MO 65211 USA          E-mail: address@hidden