20000510: navigation problem in conduit data

>From: address@hidden (William Gallus)

Hi Bill-

>We recently began ingesting data via CONDUIT.  Our files appear with
>names like 00051012_eta_grid212.gem or 00051012_eta_grid215.gem.  The
>size is very small, however, and when I used GDINFO to check what was
>in the files, I received the error:
>
> GRID NAVIGATION:
>      UNKNOWN GRID NAVIGATION
> GRID ANALYSIS BLOCK:
>      UNKNOWN ANALYSIS TYPE
>
> Number of grids in file:     0
>
> Maximum number of grids in file:   9000
>
>Geff believes he copied the lines exactly as written to start getting
>the data.  It appears, though, that for us to use gempak on the data,
>there must be some other file that needs to be modified.  Can you
>help us figure out what is going wrong?

Please have Geff check that the path to the GEMPAK tables directory (-g
flag for dcgrib) is correct for your system.  In the pqact.conf examples
we have on the WWW page here, the path is for where our distribution resides.
You will have to modify this for your own distribution.

The only other thing I can think of is that the maximum number of
gridpoints specified in the GEMPRM file is too small.  If you have
not kept up to date with patches for GEMPAK, you might have an
older version that has the size of LLMXGD and LLMDGG set too small
to handle these finer resolution grids.

If the path to the tables is correct, please send along the
pqact.conf entries you are using and what the values of LLMXGD and LLMDGG
are in the gemprm.XXX file (where XXX is the OS specific version) in
$GEMPAKHOME/include directory.  Lastly, look for any errors in the ldm
log files or whatever log files you are using for dcgrib.

Don Murray