20000926: Alden update...

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert-

My personal thoughts:

>If Unidata is willing to drop the Alden contract (actually, it may be
>the other way around now!), I would be willing to pay for DiFAX, coming
>through the LDM, from Unisys.

Unidata does not have a contract with Alden to provide DIFAX via LDM,
each individual site has their own contract.  Please re-read Dave Fulker's
note of August 28 which explains this and Unidata position on the
future of DIFAX.

Also, for DIFAX related issues, address@hidden is perhaps a
better forum. ldm-users is intended for discussing LDM specific issues,
such as problems with the program or (unfortunately, IMHO) IDD data
problems. There is only a very small subset of the entire ldm-users list
that depends on Alden for data, DIFAX or otherwise. There are other
users on that list that use LDM, but who do not even participate in
the IDD - NWS, private companies, etc. I appreciate you trying to keep
other Alden customers informed, but using ldm-users to distribute this
information may give the impression that the successful operation of the
IDD is still dependent on Alden's participation, which it is not.

It may be moot at this point, but I'm sure Unidata would be willing
to set up an address@hidden list for discussion of
Alden related problems.

Again, these are my personal thoughts.

Don