Re: 20051130: Please Help about metar2nc

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
> >From: "DEROGNAT, Claude" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: Please Help about metar2nc
>
> Dear,
>
> I already sent you an e-mail yesterday but I forgot to told you
> that my metar files came from the NOAA. they are downloaded
> from ftp://weather.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles.

Claude,

the files from ftp://weather.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles
are not in the correct format, they need to be in the wmo text format that
looks like:

^A^M
443 ^M
SAMX45 MMMY 011900^M
METAR^M
MMMY 011900Z 00000KT 6SM HZ SKC 21/19 A2989=^M

^M
^C

we have a data server at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?native/nwstg/text

where you can get the data in the correct format. it has a passwd of
lotzodata  please do not abuise this site our you will be restricted.

i answered your other question below.

> regards,
>
> claude
>
> PS: I also tried to use other soffwares of the tool box and I obtain
> the same result.

since the decoder is sensitive to date information, the testdata.wmo.bak
file has a place holder called "DATE" that is replaced with the current
date before the metar2nc decoder runs. this is done automatically if you
run the decoders make command.

% make test

the output should look similar:

laraine.unidata.ucar.edu.rkambic> make test

making `test' in directory /home/rkambic/code/decoders/src/gribtonc

*** gribdump -b ... OK
*** gribdump -v ... OK
*** gribdump -q ... OK

returning to directory /home/rkambic/code/decoders/src

perl test.pl

   perl Decoders tests takes > 30 seconds in batch mode

METAR tested ...... OK
ascii tested ...... OK
ldmConnect tested . OK
METAR tested ...... OK