Re: 20050823: netCDF Decoders - gribtonc: GRIB 1: Cant handle quasi-regular Gaussian grids yet

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: "Glen Pankow" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: netCDF Decoders - gribtonc: GRIB 1: Cant handle quasi-regular
> >Gaussian grids yet
>
> Institution: Forecast Systems Laboratory / ITS/HPCS
> Package Version: decoders-3.1.2
> Operating System: SuSE Linux 9.1 (x86-64)
> Hardware Information: 64-bit Intel Xeon processors
> Inquiry: I\\\'m trying to help a user read ECMWF Model 194 GRIB
> files.  The sample file I was given seems somewhat
> suspect in a few ways (i.e., grid number 255 and an
> apparent lack of longitude specifications -- see the
> attached gribdump -h output).  However, when I try to
> add in the -q option, gribdump, gribtocdl, and gribtonc
> all respond with:
>
>    GRIB 1: Can\\\'t handle quasi-regular Gaussian grids yet
>
> Is there any estimate if/when this feature will be made
> available, or do you have any other suggestions for
> processing these data?

hiya,

there will be no further enhancements made to this decoder. a new decoder
written in java will replace the decoders package but it will not be able
to decode all grib1 type files. in particular, it will not be able to
decode the quasi Gaussian grids because the resources are being put
towards all the grib2 data. my suggestions would be to contact the data
provider to see if they have ideas on how to convert to netcdf. the
following url has some grib1 decoders:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/iwt/

some of the grib2 decoders also decode grib1 files but they don't
explicity state it.

also there are grib1 decoder packages called wgrib and degrib that may
help to convert to netcdf.

hopefully this helps,
robb...